The North Carolina Augmentative Communication Association
33rd ANNUAL CONFERENCE
"Take a DIP into Ongoing AAC Assessment: Development, Intervention, and Planning"
Keynote by Dr. Tracy M. Kovach
February 18 and 19, 2016
The Hawthorne & Conference Center ● Winston Salem, North Carolina
Bringing together augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) consumers, family members and professionals, the Annual NCACA Conference continues to provide a forum for learning and sharing essential information. For individuals who experience communication challenges, the use of augmentative and alternative communication and assistive technology are often critical in facilitating independence, fostering social and emotional well-being as well as expanding and enriching activities of daily living. Thursday, February 18th, we are fortunate to have Dr. Tracy Kovach. Friday, February 19th will consist of breakout sessions related to augmentative communication, literacy, assistive technology, family/consumer topics, vendor products and make-it-take-it workshops.
At the conclusion of this conference, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the role of communication partners in maximizing the communicative potential for persons with communications disabilities.
- Discuss implementation strategies for AAC users in a variety of settings
- Explain dynamic assessment procedures, strategies, resources and tips.
- Describe current therapeutic and instructional strategies for AAC users
- Recall an array of low tech to high tech devices for use with AAC consumers
This conference is designed for speech/language pathologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, psychologists, educators, para-professionals, families, and consumers interested in increasing their knowledge of AAC and assistive technology.